Saturday 20 February 2021

Vec-Cab continues

 After a long hiatus away from the Vec-Cab project I return!

So first step, continue with mounting the Vectrex securely into the cabinet. Early readers will remember I had made a tray for holding the Vectrex and  that pivots open to  a horizontal position for easy (operator) access or closed in an angled position so the Vectrex sits flush with the external glass.

There's been a change since I considered this all those years ago. That is Laurnence Bennion's Ultraviolet overlays. These overlays and UV light bezel by James Watt combo give the effect of a holographic dimension where depending on the UV light intensity the Vector graphics appear to float either behind or on top of the overlay. I definitely wanted this built into my cabinet.

Therefore to incorporate the UV light bezel, I had to take into account the extra total thickness when the tray holding the Vectrex is closed. The trick was getting the Vectrex and tray to sit completely horizontal when the tray was closed. This took several iterations and new holes to support the tray.

Anyhow, I eventually sorted it out. To finish the tray off I gave the tray a lick of varnish:

The last step was to put in cloth tape into the tray  hole that the Vectrex will sit in, just to show the Vectrex an extra bit of love! Hopefully, this should ensure that I don't scratch any Vectrex consoles placed in the tray hole.


The final result with the tray secured in the cabinet and a Vectrex in place:


It's starting to come together...

No comments:

Post a Comment